State Superintendent Search
Mississippi Department of Education
Apply to www.macnjake.com
The Mississippi Department of Education seeks a highly qualified State Superintendent. The Board wishes to have the successful candidate assume the responsibilities of the position July 1, 2024.
McPherson & Jacobson, L.L.C., Executive Recruitment and Development has been engaged as the consultant in a search for outstanding candidates. They will assist the Board of Education in identifying and screening the candidates.
Location: Jackson, Mississippi
The candidate must have the background, skills, and abilities essential for excellence in educational leadership. The board recognizes that selecting a superintendent is one of the most important decisions it will make. The board has identified the following desired characteristics:
- Works with the Mississippi State Board of Education to implement the State Board of Education Strategic Plan.
- Works with legislators on key issues and leads a complex organization throughout the legislative process.
- Is strongly committed to a “student first” philosophy in all decisions.
- Develops and communicates a vision coupled with the ability to lead a large, complex organization dedicated to continuous improvement.
- Possesses the ability and passion needed to continuously improve student performance on a statewide basis, especially in identifying and closing student achievement gaps.
- Possesses the leadership skills required to meet the challenges of a racially, ethnically and culturally diverse state.
- Inspires trust, has high levels of self-confidence and optimism, and models high standards of integrity and personal performance.
- Identifies and selects team members who can advance the State Board of Education Strategic Plan
- Provides leadership in the planning, implementation, and assessment of relevant professional development for all state educators.
- Possesses excellent people skills and presents a positive image of the state.
- Is a strong communicator: speaking, listening and writing.
- Delegates authority appropriately while maintaining accountability.
Salary, Benefits and State Requirements
- The salary will be in the range of $300,000 with an excellent state benefits package.
- The final salary for the successful candidate will be negotiated and determined based upon proven experience, qualifications and meeting the Mississippi Department of Education criteria.
- Miss. Code Ann. § 37-3-9 requires the state superintendent of education to have at least a master’s degree in any field and a minimum of five years’ experience in administration in the educational field.
- Selected candidate will be required by the State Board of Education to obtain a valid Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) issued Administrator License within 30 days of accepting the position.
- Senate confirmation is required to complete the appointment process.
- Closing date for applications: October 19, 2023 (11:30 p.m. central time)
- Video Presentations and review of candidates: November 2, 2023
- Semi-finalists interviews (in person): December 11 & 12, 2023
- Finalists interviews: December 20, 2023
- Appointment of State Superintendent: December 20, 2023
- State Superintendent hire date: July 1, 2024
McPherson & Jacobson, L.L.C.
11725 Arbor St., Suite 220
Omaha, NE 68144
Mississippi Department of Education Website: http://mdek12.org/
Consultants: Dr. Steve Joel email@example.com
Dr. James Hutto firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Michelle Hamilton email@example.com
The Mississippi Department of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The department does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability and, when needed, will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Anyone requesting a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruitment process please contact McPherson & Jacobson at the address/phone/email above.